Monday, August 23, 2010

Packing

Tomorrow I will fly out of Wichita to Dallas and then to Narita, Japan, Lord willing. I have been gathering together all of my clothes and things. Last Tuesday I had a cavity filled. After looking at Garage Sales in vain, I still had not found a large suitcase. I thought that I could go to TJ Max to get one at half the going price, at $60-$70. So after returning home from Hillsboro mom, dad, and I all got into the car to go to Wichita. Mom had a load of things that she wanted to drop off at the Goodwill, so we had to go in of course. I went to go look for shirts to take with me. She came looking for me in great excitement, and led me towards the other side of the store. Now I was rather skeptical as to what kind of suitcase she could find at a thrift store, and I like to have quality things even when I have to pay more for them. I had, up to this point, rejected all of the inferior pieces of luggage presented to me. So as I approached the wondrous finds that mom was to show me I was, to be honest, not expecting much. She showed me two upright wheeled suitcases of the type that I had requested her to look for. They were both decent finds, if not up to TJ Max's level. One was somewhat superior and I was uncertain as to if I wanted either one. Mom was especially excited about the price. I always have trouble deciding on things immediately, so to sooth her I took the nicer of the two and returned to shopping for clothes. By the time I got back to the clothes I had pretty much decided that this suitcase would do. I got my suitcase for $5.
   When I got home I found that it was the same brand as my carry-on, which I rather like. I have spent the week between the purchase on the suitcase and my departure packing. There has been a lot of weighing and moving things around so that I can keep the weight under 50 lbs. I have yet to succeed, and will probably have to put some more effort into it. As of my last weighing I am at 51 lbs. My carry on is almost 40 lbs, and I might have to go through that again too. I have put almost all of the heavy things in there.
The books are the heaviest things, and shoes are no better. Maybe I should take fewer shirts? I still have a way to go before I fly out at 7:25am tomorrow morning.

Today I went to my bank and added my dad as power of attorney to my account so he can access it if there are any problems. I also had to wire 320000Y to Japan for Homestay fees. Since the exchange rate about now is something like 85Y to the US dollar that was something like $3,700. Ouch! and the fee for the wire was an additional $40, double Ouch! I got my money from the school on Friday, somewhere around $6000. I had to take out a Direct Loan of $5,500. I hope that I will be able to budget the remaining $2000 for the next four months. The Lord is exhorting me to trust Him to provide for all my needs and not to worry. I'm used to living on a very small income, but there I will have no income, only a fixed amount.I do not know what expenses I will incur. Please pray for me that I will spend my money wisely, and that I will trust only in the Lord for my needs and not worry about what I will eat or wear, but only to seek first His Kingdom. Also Pray for a safe Journey and on time flights. Thank you all for your prayers for me. I thank Him for you. I also thank Him for $5 suitcases.

3 comments:

  1. Very, very neat, not only your packing ability but the neatness of the $5 suitcase! We say God is good, but He is also good even when we don't get the $5 suitcase.

    But seriously we do pray for a safe trip and details to fall in place, your family has great stories of how gracious the Lord provides financially. Well, 2nd thought we all got stories of His provision! Well, thanks for listening, take care, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A small price for you to expand your horizons and grow as an artist and woman! I am so excited to keep up with everything!! Make us proud, girl! but you already have :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, Arianna! Thanks for keeping us up to date. We are praying for you (by the right name, even!)

    :-)

    Duane

    ReplyDelete